Tuesday 5 August 2014

[REVIEW] How To Fall In Love by Cecelia Ahern


First off, this is my first Cecelia Ahern book. I admit I have not yet read PS, I Love You (her best selling book). A friend highly recommended How To Fall In Love to me while we were book-shopping. The story was captivating and I trusted my friend to give it a go.
Goodreads synopsis: She has just two weeks. Two weeks to teach him how to fall in love – with his own life. Adam Basil and Christine Rose are thrown together late one night, when Christine is crossing the Halfpenny Bridge in Dublin. Adam is there, poised, threatening to jump. Adam is desperate – but Christine makes a crazy deal with him. His 35th birthday is looming and she bets him she can show him that life is worth living before then. Despite her determination, Christine knows what a dangerous promise she’s made. Against the ticking of the clock, the two of them embark on wild escapades, grand romantic gestures and some unlikely late-night outings. Slowly, Christine thinks Adam is starting to fall back in love with his life. But has she done enough to change his mind for good? And is that all that’s starting to happen?
I'm a huge contemporary-romance reader and this book is the book for readers of my kind. It's romantic (obviously), adorable and heart-wrenching (not severe). It always touches me when the main character is acting as the third-wheel and helping the person he/she loves to get back to her/his lover. It's always heart-breaking and brings me to tear when the main character could no longer endure the pain and broke down. (I think this is kinda spoiler-y)

This story was written from the first person's view, Christine Rose. It's about how her life intertwined with the attempted suicide man she saved, Adam. Christine was broken (in a way) but that did not stop her from always reaching out to help others. Her father said she is always thinking while he and Chrstine's other two sisters do. I think that's what really touches me. I don't think it's her guilt towards  Simon Conway, it's her genuine kind heart which made her helped Adam all the way.

The other really interesting part was (what I called) 'the outburst'. I wouldn't want to spoil anyone reading this but I couldn't help to not talk about it also. If you're afraid of being spoilt or anything, just skip this paragraph. It was about the discovery of Christine's mother's suicide attempt. I was shocked to read about this part, when Christine was near to break down. The author played well at this explosive part. I felt that Chrsitine's trying to help because she had gone through it. She didn't want anyone to turn out to be like her mother. Also, Adam's sudden change of behaviour. That was really unbelievable, almost too fake.

This book was, to me, incredibly heartfelt. The references to self-help books are such a metaphor to tell us to follow our hearts and not everything can be formulated. A very satisfied 5-stars romance.

Summer

I hope you'll read this book: How to Fall in Love

No comments:

Post a Comment