Saturday 20 August 2016

Review: The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"I found myself on Gatsby's side, and alone."


Reading The Great Gatsby was a lonely journey. Mr Gatsby was a lonely, very lonely man. I could help but feel incredibly heartache for him. Nobody's there for him when companionship is needed the most. His love for Daisy was nothing but a speckle of dust which was easily blown away by her. Daisy, the despicable whore, has eyes on money and anything with monetary value. "Her voice is full of money." Gatsby, for once, was on point.

If I'd say one thing I learnt from The Great Gatsby, it'd be 'people come to you when you're at your best hour but they aren't necessary your best companions'.

Something about classics which throw readers off with pretentious vocabularies and high-end wordings. Sometimes it's impossible to see why this piece of literature was labeled 'classics' when the story was as plain as my breakfast white toast. The Great Gatsby, as much as the powerful descriptions and narrative go, the story was too flat. As some point, I was put off by the out-of-topic narrations and strong double-shots-caffeine is needed to put me back into the story.

Asides, it was an eye-opening read. The powerful narration brought Gatsby to justice.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment