Thursday 31 July 2014

[REVIEW] Sophie Kinsella European Weeks


I've read 4 books by Sophie Kinsella and so far, I've not rate any of them below 4-stars (not Wedding Night). I dare say that she's an amazing writer who knows how to grip my sense of humour. Additionally, I've been in the contemporary-chicklit mood and Sophie Kinsella just made all my days. There ain't no any particular reason for this double reviews mashed-up. Both books are from the same genre and author, thus, it'll be easier. 

1. Can You Keep A Secret? 

Goodreads synopsis: Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: 
Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. 
Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. 
Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. 
Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

I'M SO INSANELY IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. The feeling was so attached that I had a book hungover again. I never expect it to be that hilarious and cheesy and embarrassing at the same time. And yes, I agree that it is indeed very cliché and predictable. However, this book is capable of making me laughing out loud in public in every turn pages. It was so freaking hilarious, how can you not-

Sophie Kinsella's writings has the power to make you feel embarrass for her main girl character. I don't know how she does it but all the time you'll feel like telling the character 'oh god no', I swear. Plus, it's no secret all Sophie's books are freaking fun to read. But, this book actually made me laughed out loud. Those little thoughts of Emma were just so funny. 

The relationship between Emma and Jack is the reason I could not put this book down. I practically flew through this book, during my brother's graduation ceremony (yes, I was reading while all the choir and speeches were on-going). I love how the story unfolds and how Emma deal with all the problems. 

I'm surprised I didn't have much to say for a book I rated 5-stars. Overall, it was fun and enjoyable read. The only complaint I've got is that "it's not real", and that's not really a complaint. 

2. The Undomestic Goddess
I bought this book from an Italian bookstore because I needed something to read after CYKAS? hungover. 
Goodreads synopsis: Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She's made a mistake so huge, it'll wreck any chance of a partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she's mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they've hired a lawyer-and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can't sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope-and finds love-is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake. But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does...will she want it back?
This is not as fun as CYKAS? but it still have all the fun elements. This book still makes me laughed but not as much? However, Samantha's life is very much relatable to me (even though I ain't IQ 158 but I'm a pathetic law student). I would be almost a Melissa, still struggling in law school. 

No matter how I convince myself that this is just a fiction, I still wouldn't believe that a high-pay lawyer would choose to be a domestic worker. It's insane. I would prefer an ending of Sam being with  Nathaniel and helping him with his job or something, not being a domestic worker. But, that's the whole point of the insane plot of the book. 

Usually all law-themed fiction or movies made me uneasy, as if people trying to make fun of the subject, like the movie Legally Blonde. I do believe lawyers do get a life. However, in the Acknowledgements page, Sophie did mentioned that she'd consulted the real lawyer and such, so I guess the story ain't that fiction after all. 

Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the book very much and I highly recommend both books (in fact all Sophie's books). I've always loved a happy book. 

Summer

Nothing goes wrong with a Sophie Kinsella: Can You Keep A Secret? / The Undomestic Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment