Sunday 6 July 2014

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Almost everyone in the book world has been raving about this book and I cannot NOT check it out. There must be a reason for the whole hype, right? 

Goodreads synopsis: Can Anna find love in the City of Light? Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken —and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she's waiting for?

Yes, it is an adorable-makes-you-feel-so-cuddly-and-good book. A book for remedy situations, for after break-ups (maybe?), for book-hangover, for RomCom desperate moments, for dateless measure and for Paree-lovers. If you are any of the above, you'd to pick this book up. 

First off, I love that Stephanie Perkins describes about the settings. Many RomCom books do not care for anything other than the two main characters. But when I was reading this book, I did feel like I'm actually with Anna in Paris and speaking français all these while. You can't help it. It's written everywhere. I could even smell the croissants.

Next, the storyline. Despite everything being perfectly structured in this book, the storyline was very cliché. It's another a-new-girl-in-school-meets-perfect-guy-but-with-family-problems kind of book, the "perfect-ending" book. If it's the book alone, the story is perfect but if you compare with the other RomCom around, the storyline will not standout. 

But I don't think the storyline is the aim of the book. This book is supposed to make you feel good and feel real. There's no save-the-world-apocalypse and no unsolvable-Will-Tessa-Jem, it was just simple romance and friends-family drama. 

In fact, the middle part of book was pretty heart-wrenching. (page 259) God, I cried a bucket for Anna. Maybe it's because I understand her feelings. It was awful, her narration sounded like she's going insane (metaphorically). I was almost shouting at the book, 'no Anna, you can't do that! You can't you can't!'. That's how deep the book affects me. 

However, one part really did annoyed me. I didn't know what the hell was St. Clair doing. The book explains the reason but me myself don't really comprehend it. Why? Why won't he break up with Ellie? I was as confused as Anna. 

Overall, it's a RECOMMENDED 5-stars YA contemporary read. I will definitely get Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After (coming out on 14th August 2014). I'm pretty excited for Isla and the Happily Ever After because Josh (from AaTFK side character) will be the main character of the book.   

READ THIS BOOK,
Summer

i'm getting it: Anne and the French Kiss 

No comments:

Post a Comment