Thursday 19 June 2014

How To Love by Katie Cotugno


A bit of cheesy contemporary YA is good for health. 
Goodreads synopsis: Before: Reena Montero has loved Sawyer LeGrande for as long as she can remember: as natural as breathing, as endless as time. But he's never seemed to notice that Reena even exists until one day, impossibly, he does. Reena and Sawyer fall in messy, complicated love. But then Sawyer disappears from their humid Florida town without a word, leaving a devastated-and pregnant-Reena behind. 
After: Almost three years have passed, and there's a new love in Reena's life: her daughter, Hannah. Reena's gotten used to being without Sawyer, and she's finally getting the hang of this strange, unexpected life. But just as swiftly and suddenly as he disappeared, Sawyer turns up again. Reena doesn't want anything to do with him, though she'd be lying if she said Sawyer's being back wasn't stirring something in her. After everything that's happened, can Reena really let herself love Sawyer LeGrande again?
The most unique thing about this book is that it was written in a "before" and "after" in-alternative way. It's almost like switching POVs chapters but this was going back and forth with the timeline chapters. "Before" is the part before Sawyer (the main male lead) left; while "after" is the story happening after Sawyer unexpectedly reappeared again. The abrupt ending of chapters were catchy and readers will definitely be hooked to the story.

Serena (aka Reena) was the main female lead and this book was written in her POV. Reena was a smart, pretty, nerdy and typical girl-next-door. She has plans for her future and she knows what she's doing all the time. The only flaw she has, was falling in love with Sawyer, the in-a-mess, dysfunctional and wasted but hot (not appealing to me) childhood friend. Maybe I was a little bias but think of all the mess Reena had gotten into after hanging out with Sawyer. Even though I would say that it's a very typical characters' built-up plot.

What I like about this book? The feels. When I was reading it, I was pulled into Reena's mind immediately and feeling what she feels the whole time. The middle part (which I couldn't include as spoiler) made me cry. Okay, maybe I shed tears. I'm getting the same feeling when I read Death Angel by Linda Howard. (great book by the way) I didn't have that kind of experience as Reena but I cried with her as if I've gone through it also. Plus, usually if I cry for a book, I will give a very high rate for it.

The cutting of one star explanation. Why on earth did Sawyer date Ailee (the best friend) when he love Reena all these while? I don't seem to fathom the thought. I thought Sawyer was taking Reena as Ailee's substitute all along but then BAM. (wait, is this a spoiler?) Also, I didn't like when Sawyer dragged Reena down to his lowly pit of nothingness and Reena basically threw away all her studies being affected by him.

I guess this book was pretty close-to-heart and surreal it doesn't even show a sign of story-telling. It earns its star-rates. When I read this book, I like how real it feels. It reminds me of my favourite Chinese author, Sharon Rao (Rao Xue Man) and her books are written in a very touching and real (again) way. (Yes, that's the word. REAL.) There are flaws in characters, arguments about life, awkward situations and most importantly, no exaggeration. It feels insanely as if the same thing is happening to your neighbour or cousins or even friends.

The new cover is to be released next year 2015, heard from epicreads's Tea Time session.

A touching, heart-warming read,
Summer

Getting hold of the book: How To Love

No comments:

Post a Comment