Monday 16 June 2014

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver


I picked up this book during my last Big Bad Wolf box-sale. (I will address more on Big Bad Wolf sale in my incoming post.) The sale with ridiculously cheap bargains and this book was just for filling up the space in my box. *It says RM8 (around USD2) on the cover.

I've never read a book by Lauren Oliver but I've been meaning to because I heard great things about the Delirium series and Panic. So when I saw this book in the midst of bargain books pile, I just grabbed it, even though the back jacket was torn.

& I did not regret getting this book because it was so SO GOOD.

Goodreads synopsis: For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined.


I learnt that this is actually Lauren Oliver's debut novel in 2010. The writings are simple, straightforward yet not degraded, a typical YA style. Before I Fall is sort of a YA contemporary with a bit of paranormal (? I'm bad with genres) and psychological effect. It will make you reflect on yourself, a lot. (not a bad thing)

So, I REALLY LOVE THE STORY. Maybe most people will say it's predictable or sort but to me (who never ever predict a story), the story is quite captivating. When I first read the synopsis, I've been intrigued and busy schedule dragged my reading time until I've finally dived into the book. The idea of reviving from dead is not new but the plots are always different.

*I'm kind stuck writing this review. I think I should go for lunch first.*

Sam is one of the mean girls at school and she, of course, did what mean girls did in school. She bullied, dated hot guys, skipped classes, flirted and all with her friends (Lindsey, Elody and Ally) until she woke up from dead the next morning. Sam had to go through the same day (12th Feb Cupid's Day) again. She had known what will happen next, as the memories of yesterday (same day) is still fresh in her memory. This goes on for seven days and through the 7 days, she reflected on herself, on her friends and every events going on around her.

In my view, the reflective parts were so captivating. Sam is a mean girl but most of the things she did without thinking or she did it because her friends were doing so. Through all the same days she woke up from she found out pieces of new information and she realised she had to do something, to turn over a new leaf. Sometimes, an apology won't make much effect to the hurt caused.

Her relationship with Kent made me go fluttery all over.
He gives a half laugh. "I thought if I had a party, you would come."
Ah, Kent is so adorable and nice. (no fangirl-ing, okay) I was so happy Sam finally built up her relationship with him, like FINALLY. I was squealing all the time when they have this funny electric thing zapping on.

How do I convince you to read this book? It was a fun heart-warming contemporary and will leave you to your thoughts after you've finished the book.

Lovely 5-stars on Goodreads,
Summer

For an easy, reflective read: Before I fall - hardback (mine is) / paperback (on discount)

No comments:

Post a Comment