Tuesday 10 June 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


I've been wanting to read this book ever since I saw it from songofstyle's instagram post. Yes, I am always introduced with new books like that.

Synopsis (from Goodreads): On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?  
This is an adult fiction thriller written in two different points of view, Nick's and Amy's diary entry. The writings was absolutely fluent and the style was just amazing. I did read books with double POVs and it would go wrong if the writings were bad. The most important thing for double POVs is that the views should not overlap because it will bore the reader, in my opinion. But, Gillian Flynn did an amazing job with double POVs. The characters' view did not clash with one another and both perspectives brought out the flow of the plot.

When I first read the synopsis, I'm intrigued. I was so excited to dive into this book. However, first one-third of the book really bored me with the marital life and all which I can't really relate to. So, that part dragged my reading process. Not to mention, this was my 3rd book for Regan's shitihavetoomanybooks read-a-thon and I failed it with this book because I was stucked in that part.

However (again), after I got through the (to-me-it's-boring) part, the rest was brilliant. The rest basically returned this book to my 5-stars list. The plot twist was really brilliant (ran out of description) and wicked (quoted from a review on the front cover).

The character development. WOAH. Nick was a classic bastard husband and you will feel like pulling him out of the book and slap him upside-down for being Nick Dunne. (can't really say much for a spoiler-free review) But, he changed, from a bastard to a seemingly psychopath (my view). I like the physiological aspect of the novel. The first page of the book, Nick described his wife's head/skull. It seems really eerie. The feeling.

Overall, this book is amazing. You will agree with me if you read this book. TRUST ME, YOU WILL. For fans (ME) of thriller-detective-mystery type of books, this is definitely your choice of read. But, even if you're not a fan of these types of genres, you will also enjoy this book. It was mind-blowing.

5 GLOWING STARS on Goodreads,
Summer

Venture into this book: Gone Girl (I can't find my version but this has the same cover)


FOR YOUR INFORMATION, this book is coming out as a movie the coming October 3rd (according to the trailer). Read this before the movie is out and you won't regret it.

adapted from Youtube


SPOILER SECTION:
I was surprised by the plot twist, mind-blown. I was pretty sure that Nick was the murderer but it turns out not. The most surprising part was, of course, the last section where I was sure that Nick will turn against Amy and put her to jail for the murder but Gillian did not let that happen. OMG and Nick practically gave up and decided to live with Amy as the "changed" husband because Amy was pregnant. OMG. The part has made Nick a seemingly psychopath and I didn't dislike the ending (usually I will because it was pretty cliffhanger).

No comments:

Post a Comment