Monday 7 July 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


This book killed me. In every way possible. Ms Jenny Han, you've done a great job on that. *round of applauses*

I was introduced to this book by Regan (the booktuber: peruseproject). The title might sound cheesy but it's definitely not a cheesy book. It has its cute moments.

Goodreads synopsis: What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them... all at once? Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

This is not your typical contemporary reads. First off, the story is cute and "troublesome". I read the synopsis and it was immediately added to my TBR list. It was that intriguing. Not to mention, the cover was gorgeous to the maximum level.

This book technically has no flaws until the last page which literally made me so angry with Jenny Han. Please, why did you do this to me? OMG. I almost saw it coming and the last page slapped me into reality. If this isn't a duo-logy/series, I'm officially writing a letter to Ms Jenny Han insisting for an epilogue. I really don't mind an entirely new book just for an epilogue, just please give me an ending because there was none. The problems in the book aren't solve and I'm pretty annoyed and I couldn't sleep peacefully tonight without an answer.

Despite that pissful ending, I love this book. It was a fast read. The chapters spacing (whatever you call that) was so perfectly structured. It stops at the right time and begins with a good start.

DID I EVER MENTION THE GASTRONOMY? Jenny Han, despite everything I've written above, you're an amazing food-writer. I always have a thing for books which write about food, in details. I didn't see it coming from a YA contemporary fiction. It was a great surprise. The korean foods, the cookies baking and all those dinners. If Jenny Han writes like that in all her books, I'll eat all of them.

I stay quiet for all of ten seconds and then say, "Wait, were you wanting me to be quiet too?"
"No, I just didn't want music. You can talk as much as you want."

That was my favourite LaraJean-Peter scene. It was hilarious with cute-ness overloads. I love their cutesy moments. (on the repeat mode) I just love everything about this book except for the delirious ending. I love so many things I can't describe them in words.

I hope Jenny writes more about Chris. She's very interesting.

It would be a 5-stars if not for that ending. However, I highly recommend this book for anyone, especially contemporary readers. YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Summer

I bought it: To All the Boys I've Loved Before (new cover paperback) (hardback)
p.s My edition was out of order.

No comments:

Post a Comment