Wednesday 21 May 2014

eleanor & park by Rainbow Rowell



original post 

I’ve just finished this book like 5 minutes ago. & I have quite a million things to say.
First, when I first saw this book in Kinokuniya, I fell in love with the cover. It is just the cutest thing ever, the font and illustrations. I love the cover but I did not pick it up. I could not fell for pretty-book-covers books again. *It happens, all the time.*
Secondly, Why did I not buy it, it’s a New York Times Bestseller? I was on a budget that day. #life
Thirdly, this book haunts me all the time because it knew that I did not bring it home. I saw it all over booktube. So, I brought it during my third last book haul. (There’s another one coming soon.)
Fourthly, I finally read it, admired the cover 10millionth times, rolled around my bed every time Park does his goo-ing thing to Eleanor and almost-cried with it. 
Fifthly, there’s no fifthly actually. It just sounded not right ending with a 4. But, I’m still gonna write something. When I was reading halfway through it, I accidentally flipped to the second last page and saw the first line. I was almost in tears because I thought it was gonna be a bad ending. I didn’t like to be happy throughout the book and finally cried at the end. It’s just not a good feeling. 
…getting on to my review…
I would say, I love this novel. 
The sentences are short and sweet which portraits Rowell’s style. *if that’s really her style, I’ll read her other books to double-confirm* I like double narrators (what you call that) fictions, it shows what both parties really thinking. Because, if the authors did the right trick, they could really blew me off with their surprising plot twist. 
e&p did it. Partly because I was expecting a sad ending. The three words ending just blew me away. *spoilers alert* 
I love how Park falls in love with Eleanor. Eleanor wouldn’t couldn’t return his love. She can’t promise anything. She’s just trying all her best to return Park’s feelings and Park didn’t mind it until they went apart. Park literally broke down, into pieces. Luckily, and thank-god-ly, Eleanor picked up his pieces, fixed him up at the end, before Park really went broken. 
Not to mention, this book makes me laugh, like laughing out loud. I was reading it at the dentist and thank god, that’s not a hospital. I was at the part when Park was putting on eyeliner and his dad got so furious. I cracked. 
The other thing was the music. The list goes as wide as the sea. Rowell is fab with her music. I like them because I adore songs from those time. The list just makes me wanna cry. 
Why did I not cry? Interesting point. I TRIED. I couldn’t. I wanted. I just couldn’t. Hey, no excuse. I just ran out of tears. 
Did I mention Park’s dad? He was an amazing character. He was like Molly helping Sherlock behind the scene but stays behind the scene, get it? He was the one who kind-of sort-of pulled e&p together. He’s just Eleanor’s fairy godmother. 
I would rate this a 5-stars. Highly recommend to anyone who love-dovey, humorous, contemporary love-at-first-sight kind of story, you should definitely read this. In fact, everyone should read this, it just makes you feel like falling in love or all over again. 
This is my first book review ever. Actually I did some in my personal blog out of outbursts of emotions. This is my first official review on my first book blog ever. 
Thanks for stopping by,
Summer
getting to the book: eleanor & park (the version I have was out of order hence)

No comments:

Post a Comment