Wednesday 21 May 2014

The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth


p.s I’ve writing this in the midst of a flu. Pardon me on any mistake. 
Yes, my first review on a non-fiction book. I rarely read non-fiction asides from studies-related ones. 
I actually heard of this book from littlebookowl on her booktube channel. (unintentional advertisement, I would say giving credits.)
Back to the book. This is an interesting, mind-blowing book. It’s about English writing style. The author discussed about various writing style, such as hyperbole, personification, assonance and more. (stating those more obvious ones) He talked about how those very simple (not obvious) tones in writing, yet they amplified the whole sentence. 
He stated that Shakespeare isn’t a genius but he played with words and techniques. He shared thoughts on Shakespeare’s and many different poems and even song lyrics (The Beatles & Katy Perry). He wrote about how these styles of writings enhanced the writer’s works. 
Transferred Epithets: when an adjective is applied to the wrong noun. i.e “The man smoked a nervous cigarette.
Transferred Epithets is my personal favourite. I love how the words played around. Instead of saying ‘the nervous man’, you say ‘a nervous cigarette’. & clearly, the latter gave more impact on the reader. 
What I found most interesting about this book is that the author wrote it in a simple, easy-to-understand way. I can assure you that if those techniques were to be written in a textbook, it would be difficult to decipher. He did also wrote in a humorous style, a little critiques. 
Overall, a 5-stars book. It’s easy to read and I learnt a lot from it. 
Helpful, interesting & magical,
Summer
To Get this book: The Elements of Eloquence  

No comments:

Post a Comment