Thursday 22 May 2014

Holiday in Death by J.D.Robb

My first official post here!

My first blogspot post dedicated to the In Death series by J.D.Robb. The above is the 7th book and this series goes up to 30 over books and it is still ongoing. If you do not already know, J.D.Robb is actually Nora Roberts, one of the famous Romance novelist. This series has been around since 1998, if not mistaken. & I knew about it in 2011, I think. I started collecting them ever since. 

The In Death series is a thriller adult fiction (more like CSI), which revolves around two main characters, Eve and Roarke. Since I can't spoil you on anything regarding this series, I will just briefly talk about these two main characters.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas is a Homicide Lieutenant of the New York Police and Security Department. She has had a broken childhood and still suffered from nightmares of it until she met Roarke. Roarke, on the other hand, is a billionaire Irish rogue, who owns almost half of New York's properties. Eve met him as a suspect in the first book, Naked in Death. Roarke was actually not merely a filthy rich businessman but he, too, had a traumatising past. As both characters met and developed a romantic relationship towards one another, they clicked and patched up each other as puzzle pieces. This series recites on their relationship and how Roarke (having all gadgets and monetary power) helps Eve in solving crimes. 

The characters. Eve is a badass. She's a cop and she's freaking badass. I have no words for her personality. She's badass, brave, fierce, compassionate (in her own ways) and everything else needed for a heroine protagonist. On the other hand, Roarke is the hot stuff. He's rich, handsome, smart (business type) and swoon-worthy. Okay, like any typical hot stuff male protagonist. 

What I like about the series? This series takes place in the future, around year 2058. It's in New York, where automatons are all around the place. There are androids, AutoChef, airbus (literally) and high-tech gadgets. Despite those, crimes still take place. 

Also, I love the author's writings. It's built up from different characters POV, sort-of third person view. However, at some point, you can read about other characters' thoughts. & I like it. I like that I know what the other person were thinking at that moment. Plus, Robb's play of words was beautifully done. 

One thing to note for readers. These books do contain adult scenes, although it may have cut down a little through out the series. It also contains explicit gruesome crime scenes, since it is an adult fiction, so there goes. Nevertheless, I love my crime fiction books, what more series. 

Summer

To start form scratch: Naked In Death (first book) 
I just finished Holiday In Death (seven book)! This series (regarding the crimes) does not necessarily go as episode by episode but it is encouraged to read from the first book, since the romance story does go by episodes (well, the first few books). 

No comments:

Post a Comment